This evening I was listening to a recent conference from my direct selling business, and there was a concept that really stuck out to me. In 2017, Pamela Waldrop Shaw discussed three things that drive change. Her three things were as follows: 10 – Significant Events, 7 Critical Decisions, and 5 Influential People. When I heard this, I immediately thought about the recent change in my life to Work From Home Mama and how the 10, 7, 5 Principle applied to that change. Here is my reflection so that you can see the Principle in application!
10 Significant Events
- First Pregnancy & Miscarriage – 2018
- Princess Court of Sales Achievement – 2018
- Second Pregnancy – 2018 and 2019
- Birth of LilKsby – 2019
- Mr Kisby Layoff – 2019
- Covid Pandemic – 2020-Present
- Pandemic Teaching – 2020-2022
- Mr Kisby Graduates – 2021
- Mr Kisby New Job – 2022
- Social Issues and Injustices – Ongoing
7 Critical Decisions
- Mr Kisby deciding to go to school instead of finding “just another job”.
- Keeping LilKsby at home during the 2020-21 school year. This made me realize how much I longed to be at home with him.
- Realizing that I don’t like being made to feel expendable. Also the existential dread associated with starting the last two school years during Covid peaks was mentally overwhelming to me.
- Deciding that homeschool feels like the best option for us as we want our child to grow up with an education that reflects our values. This means more than just intertwining faith and academics. It means teaching equality, respect, fairness, and how to be an ally!!!
- Determining that an abundance of money is not as important as living a fulfilled life by our priorities. Yes, I know things cost money. Yes, I know you have to have enough money. Yes, we like to play the lottery. However, money is not the most important thing to us.
- Realizing that it is more important to live by our priorities than the priorities others give us.
- Making the choice to leave teaching after 11 years.
5 Influential People
- The Holy Trinity – I prayed a lot over the decision to make the change from teaching to work from home mama. Ultimately I was able to follow what was put on my heart, and even though my brain wants to panic sometimes, I’m doing my best to follow FAITH over Fear! When change is imminent, I highly recommend praying to your Deity. Not religious? Then I recommend lots of self reflection!
- Mr Kisby – My husband, my partner in life, my biggest cheerleader!
- LilKsby – My Sweet Boy and the one who learns more from watching us than anything else.
- Homeschool Friends – I see the magnificent wonders they have worked in their children’s lives, and that is what I want for LilKsby.
- Entrepreneur Friends – Seeing them live their truths by their priorities is impacting!
So there you have the 10, 7, 5 principle! My 10, 7, 5 spanned a four year time period. For others their time period might be longer, and for some it might be shorter. Also, a lot more than 5 people influenced me, but that gives you the concept. As I’m embarking on this change, I think it is good to reflect. It keeps the perspective fresh and the path set right.
What change are you contemplating?
The Great Kaysby